Got in on the dot of 2.15 and made it to Ibis without incident..me at the wheel! Then, with some trepidation we motored into the centre via the urban motorway. Actually quite easy. But nowhere to park on the street, every space was taken. Eventually I resorted to the underground carpark near Guggenheim and we resigned ourselves to paying!
The museum itself glinted like some Disney fortress in the weak sunlight and the massive puppy was planted with pansies. What a curiously ugly edifice it is. Best bit is the Louise Bourgeois spider by the river. Love it!
We walked along the river for a while admiring the buildings and bridges. Gosh how it's changed in 30 years. So smart and clean and full of interest. Then up into the town where we chanced upon the Bar Iruña, the most wonderful Art Nouveau café/bar with pintxos. As we hadn't had lunch we sat at the counter and snacked on delicious ham rolls, pots of octopus and chicken and pineapple mousse.
More wandering down across to the old town and river. There were various demonstrations dotted about. A hunger strike over 15% cuts in some social security benefits, a curious mass of people with dogs complaining about a new law concerning potentially dangerous breeds of dog. I think it's about who can own them but not sure. Never really thought of the Spaniards as doggy folk! I noticed that the Bank of Santander are still paying 3% on their 123 Account here! Hmm, should I transfer my account to Spain?
The bar I'd hoped we could eat in wasn't open so we headed back across the river to the Iruña where we had yet more pintxos - tortillas - and Adrian had a lamb brochette. Plus Rioja. Then home to our lovely comfy Ibis and a nice hot shower.


