We had more coffees - loathe to go out into the downpour. But tempus fugitted and off we went into wine country between Bergerac and Pomerol. More routes barrées sent us into a maze of unclassified lanes with no signposts. I was getting a headache and feeling sick from peering at the tiny print of the map in a moving car. Tempers were frayed.
At last we got to Lussac and bought vast delicious sandwiches from an amazing boulangerie full of breads of all description. This time we did reboot and I sent us straight to the top end of the Gironde estuary past the Escargot Roundabout and into Mortagne. Then rapidly bypassing Royan hoping for a speedy entry into La Rochelle. Ha ha! Another roadworks loomed up and we were lost in Saujon with signs telling us to go via Saintes!! Not bloody likely says I, and we wove our way onto the country roads through the marshes. Rochefort was signed, the transporter bridge was in view and we were soon in the Kyriad La Rochelle exhausted but triumphant. Lovely huge room, stylish. Two windows, wet room. And only two mins to del Arte for pizza and wine.
Today was much better. A fine morning as we crossed the marshes to Luçon. Cathedral bell tolling melodiously as we sipped yet more excellent coffee, this time with good croissants. And I found Adrian a new Héron and Héron lighthouse book in the bookshop!



