12 November 2019

Grignan

Another bright as a button day with no cloud but definitely a bit windy. Adam requested Grignan and so we were off before 10 in that general direction. Somewhere around Visan I had an awful realisation. It’s Tuesday. On Tuesdays, Monuments Historiques are Fermés. Too late - we were there. But there was a compensation because in the street up to the fountain there was a market. A nice one. Not too big, but full of tasteful stalls and produce. A lady was selling Peruvian Alpaca jumpers. I bought one!









We trudged up to the château just in case but as feared all was bolted against us. Still we were able to get pretty good views from the perimeter walk so were not too disheartened.













Down at the church we could hear much sawing and drilling going on. Adam and I ventured in to discover a group of local chaps busy constructing the Christmas Crèche.








They welcomed us to take photos. Such a lot of work goes into these displays.










I love the line of sheep coming off the hillside.











The lady herself is buried in front of  the altar.

And we continued down to the Jardin Sévigny where there is what we always took to be a real maze. It is in fact just the letters of the name Sévigny in the form of a 17 century maze! But there's a good view of the château.







It was lunchtime - well almost. I’d seen a nice looking resto in the corner by Mme de S’s fountain but it was too cold to sit out and the others were less than enthusiastic so we ended up in the crêperie! A strange place but good galettes and crêpes if somewhat overfacing. I could hardly move when we left. Back via Richerenches.











For once the Commanderie was open and they had yet another exhibition of Mireille Vanson’s wooden sculptures.
This is a lime-tree trunk. Well it was.














The usual garments but also some nice fruits.
















Returned over the hills between Visan and St Maurice.










Fabulous long views, hardly a cloud in the sky. It was warm out of the wind but once you walked round the corner of the shelter belt...wow! Icy blast.







And here’s another mystery snowy mountain. We’ve worked out that yesterday’s was way north on the edge of the Vercors. This one looks even higher.