Walking in the vines and down the lanes the senses are assaulted (in the nicest possible way) by the scents of autumn. Swathes of white flowers between the vines and yellow ones along the verges positively reek with an intense whiff of honey. Like alyssum on steroids! Presumably some varieties of the cabbage family - oh yes! remember even the wallflower is a cabbage. Then there is the miasma of fruity alcohol rising from the trails of grape juice that lead from field to wine cellars. Little narrow tractors chugging along with trailers piled high with grapes leaving their squishy footprint along the roads.Even within these walls. I got an email from Nicole across the road as we were having coffee at the market. Did we want any quinces for membrillo or jam? Her tree has produced well this year. Tricky one…Adrian is not a fan of the gritty beauty and I am not a jam maker. But I do so love quinces. Solution! Accept some as room perfumers. Which I did, and they are now pumping out sweet odours in the kitchen and sitting room. I might sacrifice one to poach with a pear for my pudding.

