30 October 2022

Obsessed by herons

I know… but some people have lighthouses, others Eurovision. Me, I like herons. So today was a goodie! 

We’d been up to Rasteau for the weekly walk. Roses out in profusion at the ends of the vines. You’d think it was midsummer. A mixed flock of dogs with their female keepers passed us as we sat by the barrels under the pines. Bells tinkling at their necks - what a sensible idea. The two black and white spaniels among them dashed hither and yon, tongues lolling drunkenly to one side. Ecstatic and oblivious to the direction of travel until I pointed out the way.

The bar welcomed us after the allotted hour’s stroll and we had drinks various in the hot sun. 

Too nice to return and the days are now cruelly truncated by Le Passage à l’Heure d’Hiver. So we made the most of the remaining afternoon sun and headed out to Entrechaux and the Roman bridge where ladies were sunning themselves on the river bank and a party of older folk were enjoying a noisy déjeuner sur l’herbe - well sur boulders really. 

And then, in flew Monsieur Héron who stood in the shallows and looked around for his own snack. The river is very low for the time of year so I hope he found something.

These are but a few of the photos - there are one or two more on the album and I have ruthlessly culled the rest!