20 October 2020

Housework

Bit grey ce matin so the planned walk to Beaumes was put off for a day or so. Instead I unearthed Henry and vacuumed the upper two floors - makes less to do at the weekend! As I was scivvying I looked out and saw this dark shape on the terrace parapet. A large grasshopper. It had lost its antenna and jumped about a bit unsteadily. Nevertheless I got it to stand on my finger and be transported to the roof. One giant leap and it was off!


Next wizzo wheeze was to bleach the bathroom floortiles in an attempt to clean the grouting. Poo what a wiff of fumes. We left it to fester and went for a walk round the vines. So warm despite the grey and very autumnal with turning leaves and plumes of smoke rising on the hillside from burning vine prunings. Talking of prunings...the other thing that drove us out of the house was the deafening roar of a chipping machine across the road as chaps pruned the trees.


We returned to lingering fumes and sat upstairs with the doors open reading our respective tomes. Finished mine! Hilary Mantel’s vast work on the Fr Revolution. Not quite so sad as Cromwell’s death but it was the same end. Off with their heads!