26 July 2019

Final Friday

I shall be sad to go despite the heat. But this morning, shamed by the athletic exploits of various friends and relations I went to Beaumes to swim. Ah, but first I had been up to Ulster Towers at 7.30 on a housekeeping mission. A dawn SOS message from Louise - Guests unable to work the keylock or empty washing machine before leaving!  It’s the time to see folk...caught Frieder watering the courtyard, Edeltraut in a less than elegant frock, Paul and Linda packing their van about to leave for a festival in the Ardèche. I emptied washing machine and hung up soggy towels hoping the real housekeeper would get to them before they ‘died’. Locked up and closed keybox. Then I ran the length of Grand Rue and down past the fountain to get bread from Mme Moulin 🏃🏼‍♀️
Anyway back to Beaumes. I arrived in good time only to find barriers and diversions and notices saying Fête du Village. The vast car park was full of platforms for Rides and Attractions, no access to parking in the Stade. So I went down the road and parked on the pavement then walked...still got to the pool before opening so I was one of the first in. Which was just as well because soon afterwards a group of children and moniteurs arrived plus one or two families. Managed a few lengths in peace before they piled in! Moved to the other bassin and did the same. And between times I sat in the shade and watched. A final powered two lengths in the big pool slaloming between the teenagers and I was off.🥽 It was getting too busy by 11.

The pelargoniums are showing willing!












 But Drama! Watching TdF with our hero Julien battling down yet another watch it through your fingers descent, making up time on the wily Columbian. When France TV show pictures of snow ploughs and blocked roads. Took everyone a while to realise that this was not the other side of the mountain but on the actual route!!  The word went out on Race Radio that the race was stopped. Riders gesticulated and carried on. It took Christian Prudhomme lui-même to drive up in his red Skoda and convince them it was Not A Joke. What a shambles. Poor things.